Portfolio Set-up Instructions
2. Sign in using the ID and password you created for your blog.
3. Click "My Site" in the upper-left corner. This will take you to your dashboard.
4. Next you will create your pages. Move your cursor to the toolbar on the left side of the dashboard page in the grey-shaded area. About halfway down the menu under the section, "site," you will see a link called "pages." Click that.
5. On the right and toward the top of the page, you will see a pink icon labeled "add new page."
6. The site will then navigate to the location where you create new pages. When the page opens, your cursor will blink inside of the textbox at the top of the page where you are to type the title for your page.
7. Inside this text box, type "Annotated Table of Contents." BEFORE YOU PUBLISH THE PAGE, CLICK ON "PAGE ATTRIBUTES ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN." AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS SMALL SECTION, YOU WILL SEE "ORDER" WITH A ZERO IN THE BOX. FOR ANNOTATED TABLE OF CONTENTS, YOU WILL ENTER "1" HERE.
Once you have typed the title of your page AS WELL AS THE ORDER, click the pink "publish" icon on the upper-right side of the page, and then click publish a second time. When your page has been published, in the upper right you will see a green check mark with "page published on <title of your blog> and then "add another page." Click "add another page."
8. Add each of the following new pages by repeating steps 3-7 each time. BE SURE YOU ENTER THE APPROPRIATE ORDER NUMBER FOR EACH PAGE BELOW:
Title of Each Page "Order"
- Introduction to Older Piece of Writing 2
- Introduction to Ad Analysis 4
- Introduction to Exploratory Paper 6
- Copy of Exploratory Paper 7
- Introduction to Blog Posts 8
9. THIS IS AN OPTIONAL STEP. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO FEATURE A SPECIFIC IMAGE ON EACH PAGE, YOU MAY DO SO. After publishing each page and its appropriate order, click "close" and then "My Site." Then click "site" and then "pages." To the right of the name of each page, you will see three dots "..." Click the three dots for the page you wish to edit (add an image to) and then click "edit." On the menu at the right side of the page, you will see "featured image." Click that and then "featured image." If the image you would like to use isn't a visible choice to you at this point, simply click "add new" and then "pictures" (or wherever you saved the file you need on your computer) on the left side of the file upload menu. Click on the image that you want and then click "open." This moves the image to your image workspace. At this point, it will likely have a pink check mark in the bottom right corner. This means that you have selected it. If it is selected, simply click "set featured image," in the bottom right corner. This moves the image to your page. Lastly, click "update" and you have finished adding the image to your page. After you add an image to your page, click close in the upper-left, and this will take you back to your "My Site" toolbar. Simply repeat the process for each page for wish you would like to feature an image.
10. At this point, you should have created a blank page for all of the pages that you will need on your blog for the portfolio, placed them into the proper order, and added an image the page (if you wanted an image on each page).
11. Next, you will need to ensure that your pages are visible to a visitor to your site. To do this, click "my site" in the upper-right corner of the page.
12. Just beneath "My Site," you will see a link to your page, and the link will have the name that you gave your site on it. CLICK THIS. THIS IS WHAT A VIEWER SEES WHEN THEY VISIT YOUR SITE.
13. DO YOU SEE A LINK TO EACH PAGE THAT YOU CREATED FOR YOUR BLOG? (SEE STEP 8 ABOVE). IF YOU DO NOT SEE THESE LINKS YOU WILL NEED TO CREATE THEM USING THE FOLLOWING STEPS. THESE MAY VARY WITH THE INDIVIDUAL "THEME" THAT YOU CHOSE WHEN YOU SET UP YOUR BLOG AT THE BEGINNING OF THE TERM.
NOTE: IF YOU CAN SEE THE LINKS TO YOUR PAGES, YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE SET UP OF YOUR PORTFOLIO PAGES. IF NOT, PROCEED TO STEPS 14-
14. Begin by clicking "my site" then click "customize" on the left menu. This is just below "Design."
15. Next, click "Widgets" and then "primary widget area" and then select "pages." AT THIS POINT YOU SHOULD SEE A "PUBLISH ICON" IN THE UPPER-LEFT CORNER (LIKELY BLUE). CLICK PUBLISH AND THEN THE ARROW THAT POINTS LEFT IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER TO EXIT.
16. This should take you back to the "My Site" toolbar. Just scroll to the top of the menu at the left of the page and click on the title of your blog just below "My Site" to view your page.
17. AT THIS POINT, YOU SHOULD SEE A LINK TO EACH OF THE PAGES THAT YOU CREATED IN STEP 8.
NOTE: AFTER YOU HAVE SET UP EACH PAGE FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO, YOU MAY BEGIN ADDING CONTENT TO THESE. YOU'LL FIND THE INSTRUCTIONS LINKED FROM THE COURSE SCHEDULE PAGE AT MULTIPLE POINTS DURING THE LAST TWO WEEKS OF CLASS.